Public Information Request
Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives you the right to request documents from the city. State law allows the city to designate a person that is authorized to receive email or faxed requests for open records. If a city makes such a designation, the Public Information Act is only activated if the request is directed to the assigned individual. Resolution No. 08-06-663R designates the City Secretary as the Officer for Public Information for the City of Royse City.
To obtain documents, one must submit a written request, through the online portal below, that includes specific information and detail regarding the requested information to allow staff to identify and locate the requested items. If the request is vague or City staff cannot determine what information would be responsive to the request as drafted, the City of Royse City may ask you to clarify your request in order to determine specifically what records are responsive. All government information is presumed to be available to the public, but certain exceptions may apply. The request must be made for records or information in existence. The Texas Public Information Act does not require the City to create new documents, create statistics or other analyses, perform legal research, answer questions, or comply with a continuing request to supply information on a periodic bases. State law allows the city to recover costs associated with open records requests. These are set rates through the Texas Administrative Code.
All public records will be made available to the public as requested, as expeditiously as possible, unless the law provides for an exception to disclosure. Such exceptions may include but are not limited to:
- Bank account and routing numbers (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.136)
- Credit card number and expiration date (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.136)
- Date of Birth (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.101 + common-law privacy)
- Driver's license number(Tex. Gov't Code § 552.130)
- Email address (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.137)
- Insurance policy number (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.136)
- License plate number (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.130)
- Personal identification number (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.147)
- Social Security number (Tex. Gov't Code § 552.1347)